10 Surprising Facts About Turfgrass
Do you know these surprising facts about turfgrass and sod in Canada?
- Where can you expect to find turf grass? Residential lawns, commercial lawns, golf courses, sports fields, parks, cemeteries, roadsides, and, of course, sod farms.
- Did you know that there are more than 10,000 types of grass? In addition to lush green turfgrass, rice, wheat, corn, bamboo, and sugar cane are all varieties of grass as well.
- You might assume that a blade of grass is the weightiest part of a grass plant. In fact, roots account for 90% of the weight of grass.
- A single grass plant has over 600 kilometres of root. That’s further than the distance between Toronto and Montréal!
- In an average-sized lawn of about 800 square feet (75 square metres), there are almost 424 million kilometres of root. That’s enough to wrap around the circumference of Earth 10,000 times. In fact, it’s enough to get you to Mars and part way back!
- A soccer field of an average size produces enough oxygen to offset almost 2,000 km of driving and do the work of 327 trees every day. A single field also produces enough oxygen for nearly 14 people to breathe on a daily basis.
- By weight, grass plants are 75 to 80% water. Grass clippings are 90% water, with the remainder composed of nitrogen, potassium, phosphorus, and other organic elements.
- An average sized yard can absorb more than 22,000 litres of rainwater at a time.
- In addition to releasing a significant amount of oxygen, turfgrass also absorbs carbon dioxide, hydrogen fluoride, ozone, and peroxyacetyl nitrate.
- Turfgrass lawns provide a significant cooling effect. In fact, an average size lawn has a similar cooling effect to nearly 10 pounds of air conditioning refrigerant. Unlike A/C, turfgrass has zero electrical energy usage and only positive environmental effects.
At Manderley Turf Products, we’ve been creating great lawns since 1960. Homeowners and professional landscapers, architects, nurseries, and municipal planners alike all trust Manderley to provide high-quality fresh sod and turfgrass.
We grow top-quality durable turfgrass at our sod farms, engineered to match your local growing conditions. We farm according to the best environmental practices at all times. Combined with our outstanding customer service and commitment to quality, there’s a reason we are Canada’s favourite source for turfgrass, sod, seed, fertilizer, soil, and garden products.
Contact us at 1-888-255-3885 or fill out our convenient online sod ordering form to get started!