The Do’s and Don’ts of Winter Lawn Care
While it’s true your lawn requires less maintenance in the winter, if you want a lawn that’s lush in the spring, you still need to give your it care and attention all year long. Even when there’s snow on the ground!
There are a few things you can do this winter to help your lawn Green Up! beautifully next spring. We’ve compiled a list of Do’s and Don’ts for winter lawn care to help protect your lawn, and save your money next spring:
- Use a salt alternative: Typical rock salt can harm to your lawn, meaning more time and money spent repairing the damage come spring. In our last blog we offered up some salt alternatives to use around your property. You can check it out here.
- Shovel early and often: Promptly removing snow and ice build-up from your driveway and walkway can help reduce your need for damaging products, such as rock salt, to eliminate snow and ice from your property.
- Put up barriers and protective wrap: This will help lessen the damage caused by city plows and road salt which will inevitably end up on your lawn throughout the winter season.
- Mow your lawn after the first frost: Like Bill Murray in a Wes Anderson film, your lawn may make the occasional cameo on warmer winter days. But, to avoid damage, once your lawn has gone dormant it should not be mowed again until it has had a chance to green up in the spring.
- Walk on the lawn: Your lawn is in a somewhat vulnerable state after it has gone dormant for its winter hibernation, so try to reduce traffic wherever possible. The more traffic on your dormant grass the more added strain to your already stressed out lawn.
- Forget about your mower: After working all summer long, your mower is likely in need of a little servicing and now’s the perfect time to check it off your to-do list. Be sure to sharpen your mower blades as part of your maintenance plan, as dull edges can cause torn grass blades and leave your lawn vulnerable and open to disease.
Lawn care doesn’t just start in the spring and end come the fall, taking small steps during the winter months can help ensure that lush turf returns next year. And don’t let that winter care go to waste, be sure to check out Manderley’s product page for all your spring lawn treatment needs.